Friday, November 26, 2010

Silver & Gold, and Sensory Overload



As I mentioned, this place does NOT skimp on Christmas decorations. I don't think there's an official competition between the stores and resorts, but it sure seems like they're trying to one-up each other. A description doesn't do it justice. Here's some photos:


Right next door to the courthouse, you can get some holiday cheer and a ginormous snow globe at the Rock Island Cafe.



Surangel's light display is on each side of it's building. My camera could only get part of it.


Not to be outdone, WCTC took a more firework-ish approach. You can't tell from the picture, but these things are flashing and twinkling like crazy. And it just gets more festive indoors...


These two greet you as you enter Surangel's. I guess it wouldn't be Christmas without a creepy full length Santa statue!

And this is my favorite display, compliments of WCTC. If I could post a video of this, I would...it moves and plays Christmas music. I've had to curb the amount of groceries I buy because otherwise I can't get through the hallway. And I couldn't fit the whole thing in one picture...



Hmmm....what's missing??
Of course! Santa see-sawing with his reindeer! And, last but not least...

This guy is probably about 20 feet tall...they had to put scaffolding around it to decorate it properly. It blocked the traffic through the hallway of the grocery store for about a week.

Given all these decorations, it's physically impossible to avoid the holiday spirit. Not that I needed any help. I've been listening to Christmas music since the day after Thanksgiving (that's nothing--my sisters start in on the holiday tunes on November 1). And, as I mentioned, I had a cookie baking party with my friends Alexis, Holly, Sarah, and Veronica. We made some islandy sangria, listened to some Christmas tunes, and whipped up some cookies.

Sarah and Alexis getting creative with icing.


Holly and Veronica happily toiling away in the kitchen.

And, of course, my Mom made sure that my apartment was stocked with a tree and stockings!


Thanks Mom/Santa for the tree, decorations, and presents!

I must have been pretty good this year because I get my first Christmas present early! Jesse is arriving here in Palau this Sunday morning at 1:00 a.m. My parents asked me if I'd be picking him up from the airport, and after a lot of consideration, I figure it's the least I can do for the guy who wakes up early to skype, sends me coffee and DVDs, and travels halfway across the world to see me! He's here through January 2, so we have big plans to scuba dive, snorkel, sit on the beach, attempt to play soccer, and one-up each other in trivia. If I had to gauge my excitement on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say I'm at a 17.48 right now!

Even though we're thrilled to see each other and hang out in paradise, we'll miss our families and friends. Have a fantastic Christmas and New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment